Saturday, October 27, 2007

I just got health insurance, and now I need PHONE insurance, too?

I've always been very aware of how many people seem glued to their cell phones as they're walking down the street, but today that awareness took on an extra clear sharpness. You see, for the first time ever, today I lost my cell phone.

I work at a small store in Manhattan, and I had my Motorola RAZR sitting next to the register as I rang up our customers. At one point, with a sinking feeling, I noticed that my phone was no longer next to the register. I am pretty sure my RAZR left the premises with a customer, who inadvertently grabbed it thinking it was her own, OR with a NON-customer, which would be just...evil.

Ever lose a cell phone before? There are so many annoying things about the whole experience, not the least of which are the following two:
1) the ridiculous expense of buying a new phone while not in my "free upgrade" time window (this one's especially fun, having just moved AND having just replaced my recently-crashed laptop. Yay!)
2) the process of attempting to retrieve all the phone numbers I lost (does anyone keep a hard copy rolodex these days, besides my mother? Perhaps now's a good time to start...)

I don't consider myself the most "connected" lady in the world, but I do enjoy my share of text messaging, and it's painful right now to have that activity missing from my life. Thank goodness for my new neighbors' open wireless networks...at least I still have email until I scrape together the funds for a new phone.

I hope the new owner of my RAZR is enjoying the phone photos of my cat.

1 comment:

sk said...

I keep all my numbers in a word document on the computer (which I suppose doesn't help much in the event of computer crashes).

I've been thinking about getting an old-fashioned rolodex and I highly recommend this one to everyone:

http://lovelydesign.com/lovely_products_new.html

It says it's currently sold out... but they'll be back, I'm sure. It's a woman from British Columbia who makes these and I think it's such a great marriage of form and function. Traditional rolodexes are usually so ugly.