Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lopate

I listen to WNYC, the New York City NPR affiliate, a lot.
I love the Brian Lehrer show (10am-12pm every weekday) the most, but I often listen to other programs as well.

Immediately after Brian Lehrer's show is the Leonard Lopate show (12pm-2pm every weekday). I have *tried* to listen to this show, hosted by the brother of writer Phillip Lopate, many a time and enjoy it as I do my Brian Lehrer. I have concluded that this just cannot be done.

Leonard has a way of speaking that grates on me just a bit. He asks questions in a manner that, I think, sounds mildly presumptuous. I believe this is because he extends his speaking out in such a way that he always seems to squeeze in his own view/opinion of a situation at the same time he is asking his guest for their view. It can be a very leading way to inquire about something.

But as much as I always have trouble with Leonard's interview style, I am sure I will continue to listen to his program. I just love WNYC too much, and sometimes he does have some very interesting guests on, guests that don't become in any way derailed by his questioning methods, as I do.

Perhaps I am alone in my view of Leonard. I try not to judge, really I do. Sigh.

No comments: