Monday, April 14, 2008

My weakness for bad game shows

I am going to admit something. I love the television show Deal or No Deal. There, I've said it.

Why do I love this crappy show hosted by a bald ex-comic and populated by life-sized Barbies in matching mini dresses? I am not sure.
I will say that my fascination with the show has waned a tiny bit as I've slowly let myself accept the fact that the contestants/contests may very well be rigged. (Aren't a disturbing number of "reality," or reality-type shows scripted? So what is real about it? The writing?).

I think I just love numbers, and odds, and chance. And maybe I get a little thrill out of watching someone stupidly throw away a good offer, when their chances of doing better are obviously next to zero.

I do have a least favorite part of the show, however. I really dislike it when Howie gets into the details of the contestants' personal lives, 'cause that's when the show seems most scripted. And, frankly, I don't really care about the personal lives of the contestants, real or not.
I'm a Deal or No Deal bitch.

No comments: