Monday, March 24, 2008

art + fashion

It had been quite some time since I'd splurged on a copy of the Sunday New York Times. As the price of the paper has steadily risen ($4.00 for Sunday alone!), I've become a regular online reader.

But there ain't nothing like a leisurely day off with the Sunday paper spread before me, so I decided to splurge yesterday and buy myself a copy. Also, the magazine section was taking the art world as its focus this week, and this intrigued me.

Ah, the "art world." It's like people who are involved with art live on a different planet...hmmm...

So there was one photo spread in the magazine called Hang Time with which I have some beef. It features nine young art handlers (in their 20s and 30s, I think) who install work in New York galleries and museums, including the New Museum, Matthew Marks Gallery, and John Connelly Presents. All of these real-life "models" are dressed in work clothes - if work clothes mean things like $2,245 Prada jumpsuits. Ummm...

Some of these art handlers are artists themselves, not too far out of art school, working as art handlers to pay the bills (some of which surely include hefty art school student loans, I am guessing). Can they afford these clothes? Do they work in these clothes? Even lounge around in these clothes? Doubtful, I'd say.

I know that a big dose of fashion's appeal is its fantasy aspect - the promise of a better life through better clothes - but I think that this particular fashion spread is perpetuating some myths about what it's really like for many folks in the "art world." I am sure plenty of folks in the land of art can afford these clothes, but it sure ain't the guys doing all the grunt work.

(Update: found a nice little interview on the New York Times online that expanded the story nicely).

No comments: