Monday, December 1, 2008

Saturn return

Alright. I'm not a new agey kinda gal, and I don't believe in astrology, but I swear there's something to this Saturn return thing.

My 30th birthday, which occurred earlier this year, was indeed a significant time for me, and I made sure to commemorate it properly, by surrounding myself with friends, preparing and performing a new full-length show, and getting my first tattoo.
I was looking forward to 30 as an age when I'd be done with all the bullshit, as a time when I'd focus on what I really wanted to do with my time.

Astrologers say that Saturn return occurs anywhere from age 27-30, or perhaps as specifically as every 29.5 years. This is how long it takes Saturn to complete its orbit around the sun - therefore, Saturn will theoretically occupy the same place in space on the day you turn 29.5 as it did on the day you were born.
According the Astropalmistry(!) website, "Saturn is the planet of contraction, limitation and time. It rules form, structure, focus, discipline, responsibility, steadfastness, security or insecurity, modesty, harvest, bitterness, depression, success or lack of it, and rigidity."
Therefore, a person's Saturn return is said to coincide with a deep questioning of one's path in life.

I think back to when I turned 29.5...hm, if I'm going to be precise about it, that would be November 2, 2007. What was going on in my life then? I had certainly recently made some changes for the better. I had left a bad relationship and moved into my own apartment. I was also about to make some more changes that indicated progress...I was about to start performing regularly at open mics, and I was finishing up a memoir project I had started that Fall in an essay writing workshop. I was also busy revisiting and re-evaluating parts of my past.

And now...I find myself caught in confusion and sometimes depression and sometimes fear, but mostly hope and excitement for the future. It feels like big changes are coming, but only if I make them so. I hope I have the necessary strength and courage to move forward. I think I do.

No comments: