Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bulk Mail

Anyone else ever take the time to notice the subject matter of all that spam email that usually gets automatically directed into your Bulk Mail folder?

My Yahoo email account has been active since I first opened it in I *think* 1999, giving me many years to end up on seemingly every spam email address list in existence. I swear, I must receive at least a handful of new spam emails every five minutes. (Thank you, thank you, Yahoo, for so accurately diverting nearly all of these into my Bulk Mail folder.)

I know that Yahoo will automatically delete the spam emails from my Bulk folder every 30 days or something, but the ever-growing numbers of them annoy me, so I go through regularly and clean 'em out myself, too. Recently, I began taking an interest in the subject lines of these emails. I figure the goal of the subject line is to lure as many people as possible into opening the email and reading it, so what do the following choices of subject lines say about the (assumed) headspace of most computer users? (these are all the subject lines that appeared in the spam emails of my Bulk folder just within the time it took me to type these paragraphs):
"10K Scholarships - Year-Round Giveaways"
"Government Grant Money Available, Act Now"
"eHarmony - Review your matches for free!"
"Attend detective College on a grant"
"Millions in Nursing Scholarships"

It looks like people are looking for: money, love, a better job/education. No big surprises there, I guess. But...are people less interested in penis enlargement than they used to be, or is this just an exceptional batch of spam?

1 comment:

sk said...

Still a lot of penis enlargement spam, at least on my end. Today I got this subject line and for some reason it made me laugh out loud:

"May I ask why you're so unhappy with your dick?"

I think it was the polite tone that got me. Why yes -- I suppose you can ask.