Friday, November 2, 2007

What makes a house a home?

As of this evening, in my opinion, the answer to the above question is none of the following:
-reliable internet access
-unpacked boxes
-a roach-free environment

Sure, I'd love to have the ability to email at whim, the comfort of having everything in its place, and the knowledge that I'd never buy another Combat roach trap again, but these things do not make a home.
Tonight, I confirmed my belief that a home is really made by surrounding yourself with the things and, more importantly, the people you love.

My new apartment hosted its first get-together this evening. Just a few close friends, a floor, a six pack of beer, and some take-out roti from a West Indian food joint down the block. What more could I need? It was absolutely perfect. Even my cat came out of temporary hiding and stared at us all night.

No comments: