Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A (sorta) tasty menu option for the lazy and cheap

In my quest to spread my dollars ever further, I have been pondering easy ways to make cheap, tasty-enough entrees that I can stretch (preferably) into several meals.

I am a person who can maybe sometimes really enjoy cooking, but who almost always has a zillion other things that I need or want to do...therefore, I love time-effective meal preparation.

Strolling through the grocery store recently, I came up with the following super-easy yet decently-tasty meal scheme:
-half a box of bow-tie pasta
-two cans of chunk white albacore tuna packed in water
-one can of "Mexican" corn (I dunno, that's what it says on the Green Giant package...it's basically corn with some chopped green and red peppers, and extra sodium)
-one can of dark red kidney beans (preferably Goya, cause Goya is good and easy to locate nearly anywhere)

Cook, drain, and rinse all of the above that needs cooked (pasta), drained (tuna and corn), and rinsed (beans), and toss that shit together...yum, a semi-tasty meal with a respectable amount of protein.
If you've a smallish belly like me, you can refrigerate this dish and spread it out to 4 meals (lunch or dinner)!

Bon Appetit! And happy barely-depleted wallet!

No comments: