Monday, December 10, 2007

Work

There are soooo many things I've been wanting to write about recently, but I've kinda been living like a robot in auto-mode, trying to get through the days, and I've had such little energy to write.

Let me explain...

I am so very broke right now. The stars converged in such a way this Fall as to bless me with a multitude of debts. The list of costly events in my life includes: moving (and all that entails - broker's fee, security deposit, man with van costs, setting up the new pad, etc...), dental work (oh, will the work -and costs- on my poor, poor crown never end?), computer dying (new Mac laptops ain't cheap), etc, etc, wah wah wah poor me.

Fortunately(?), my past lives include the livelihood that is bartending...I happily left the bar life two years ago, vowing never to return...but, let's face it, desperate times call for desperate measures, and there's no other way I can think of (that I'd actually do at this point) to turn a few quick bucks. Mmm, cold, hard, beer-soaked cash.

So I called up my old bar boss and asked to be put on the list for fill-in work. I've already worked two shifts - two Sunday nights in a row. Sundays are good, 'cause they're six-hour shifts (8pm-2am) instead of eight-hour shifts (8pm-4am), and they're not super-busy (meaning it's easier for now-older me to get back into the bartending swing of things).

All in all, I consider myself lucky to have this bartending option for some extra dough...but, man, I am so beat. See, I work full days Friday through Tuesday at my retail job, which means my schedule the past two weeks has included the following:
1) Sunday, work at store in Manhattan from 11:30am-7:15pm
2) go straight to bar in Brooklyn to work 7:45pm-2:15am
3) get a car service home (goodbye to $20 of the cash I just earned!)
4) get up Monday morning to work at store in Manhattan from 11am-7:15pm
5) go home, crash in the bath Monday night, make sure I get up in the morning to work at the store again all day on Tuesday

The above scenario is my explanation to myself for not writing as much as I'd like these past couple weeks. Yes, there are other days in the week, but, I have a life, too, sometimes (and I've been filling in Thursdays at the store, too).

Wah wah wah. I am hoping for a big tax refund, my light at the end of the too-much-debt, too-much-work tunnel.

No comments: