Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Home

When can one officially call oneself a New Yorker?

I felt so content tonight as I made my way home to my apartment.
I love coming home to my apartment.
I love coming home to my cat (she is really due for some new cat toys!).

I was just thinking, after an awesome evening out, how happy I am and how lucky I feel to live where I do.
I have been a Brooklyn resident since August 1999...can I check New Yorker as my official status yet? It certainly feels that way.

I caught a little bit of the Brian Lehrer show on WNYC (our local NPR affiliate) this morning before work, and I learned in one of his segments that I now live in the most ethnically diverse zip code of New York City. My heart swelled with neighborhood pride...neighborhood pride is a big thing in New York, I have learned over the years...I have felt New York neighborhood pride many times myself, in a few different places that I have called home.

I like it here. I might even stick around for another 8+ years.

No comments: