Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Response to my sister's first query

OK, so I put out a challenge to my multitude of readers (and myself) a couple weeks ago. I promised that I would write a post on any topic that was proposed through a reader comment to my June 8, 2008 post.
Sooo....I actually received some comments, and now I've got some writing to do. Two Sarahs, one of whom is my sister, provided me with writing fodder. Sister Sarah went a bit overboard and gave me THREE topics to write about (thank you, dear sister). I am now going to attempt to respond to her first request. Here is her question:

1. Are you concerned that Barack Obama will destroy any motivation to work and succeed through his oppressive tax plan and desired expansion of entitlement programs? Why or why not?

A note: my sister and I are indeed the best of friends, but we have very different political beliefs. Luckily, we both enjoy a good spar once in a while...

Allow me to pick apart your question, dearest sister, as you chose some loaded vocabulary words (destroy, oppressive). I can guess where you stand on Barack Obama's fiscal plan.
What part of Obama'a tax plan are you referring to? I hardly find it oppressive to reverse the tax cuts that Bush gave to the wealthiest Americans.

And the expansion of entitlement programs? Are you referring to his desire to increase access to jobs and transportation in low-income urban centers? His desire to provide incentives to minority- and women-owned businesses, as well as small start-ups?

My answer to your question: NO. I don't think that approaching our nation as a humanistic and compassionate community "destroys" people's desire to "work and succeed."
Yes, I think that people should enjoy the rewards of their hard labor, and I believe in personal responsibility for the course of one's life. But I also think that Americans are born into all different kinds of circumstances, and that offering some government assistance to people in depressed circumstances can create a sense of hope that could be the needed impetus to pull oneself out of said depressed circumstances.

I could elaborate further, but I have three more pending topics to write about. I am not, however, against revisiting this topic in the future...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I distinctly remember getting my check from Uncle Sam in 2001, and I hardly consider myself a wealthy American. Those tax cuts were for everyone. Obama wants to increase the taxes on the wealthy (at least that's the only group it's politically safe to admit he wants to raise taxes on). Across the land you will hear, "No thanks on the raise, boss. I really don't want to enter that higher tax bracket and have 70% of my earnings sucked out of me. While it's certainly noble to 'give back' and pay for programs like government education starting at six months of age (whoa ... a chill of fear just went down my spine), I think I'll pass for now."

Are you referring to his desire to increase access to jobs and transportation in low-income urban centers? His desire to provide incentives to minority- and women-owned businesses, as well as small start-ups?

Yes, I am. If we could actually return to some semblance of federalism on which this country was founded, the folks in D.C. would have nothing to do with the issues you mentioned. Just like Obama's desire to hire and retain the best and brightest teachers. What the hell should the President of the United States have to do with the teacher hiring process???

Our nation is not a "community" (as you described it). It is a large country made up of thousands of communities. Each community is unique, which is one of the many things that makes this country so great. We need more LOCAL politics.

If we check out the areas of the country in which government assistance is most prevalent and has been occurring for the longest, I don't think you will find many people who are "being pulled out of depressive circumstances". The government has no intention or desire for that to happen.

I love you and I'm looking forward to your future posts!

Catherine said...

Wow - I knew you'd jump on this one right away, Sarah...and it's the one I was looking forward to the least, actually! I have more fully-formed opinions on the other pending topics...

But, for now, can I ask you to explain your last paragraph a bit? Can you give me examples of "the areas of the country in which government assistance is most prevalent and has been occurring for the longest" and elaborate on their failures for me? And why do you think the government "has no intention or desire" for people to be pulled out of depressive circumstances?

And...I love you, too!